CALLERTON, HIGH, a township, partly in the parish of Ponteland, and partly in that of Newburn, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7½ miles (N.W.) from Newcastleupon-Tyne; containing 131 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 989 acres: the village stands a considerable distance south of the church of Ponteland. The tithes have been commuted for £116. 1. 8. payable to Merton College, Oxford, and £11 to the vicar of Ponteland. Lady's Land, in the township, consisting of about eight acres, belongs to Morpeth free school.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.