Today, Butterlaw is a farm located north of Westerhope in Newcastle. In the past it was a more sizable settlement. Butterlaw was documented in 1242, and in 1296 there were 6 taxpayers recorded. By the 17th century it had reduced in size. Butterlaw was a township in the Parish of Newburn, with 16 inhabitants recorded in 1848. In more recent times there has been opencast mining in the area.
BUTTERLAW, a township, in the parish of Newburn, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5¼ miles (N.W. by W.) from Newcastle; containing 16 inhabitants. It comprises about 240 acres, and is the property of the Duke of Northumberland.