Topics > Tyne and Wear > Newcastle upon Tyne > East Denton
DENTON, EAST, a township, in the parish of Newburn, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 3 miles (W.N.W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, on the road to Hexham; containing 543 inhabitants. This place, which anciently belonged to the Whalton barony, was given in 1380 to the priory of Tynemouth, and since the Reformation has been possessed by various families. The township is bounded on the south by the river Tyne, and, including about 60 acres in the township of Sugley, comprises 807a. 1r. 31p., of which 499 acres are arable, 259 meadow, and 49 plantation, roads, and buildings; the surface is undulated, and the soil well adapted to the growth of wheat. There is a mine of fire-clay; and coal was very extensively wrought by the late Mr. Montague. Denton Hall, built on the site of a residence of the monks of Tynemouth, is a venerable mansion in the Elizabethan style, standing near the high road from Newcastle to Carlisle, and surrounded by lofty trees. Mrs. Elizabeth Montague, distinguished for her Essay on the Writings and Genius of Shakspeare, resided here, and was here visited by Garrick, Johnson, Beattie, and other eminently gifted men. The remains of a chapel and cemetery were discovered about sixty years since; and at Denton burn are vestiges of the great Roman wall, faced with stone, in the vicinity of which altars, inscribed stones, and many remarkable coins and medals have been found. The manufacturing village of Scotswood, on the banks of the Tyne, is in this township.
Add a comment or share a memory.