Topics > Tees Valley > Historic Buildings and Monuments in the Borough of Hartlepool

Historic Buildings and Monuments in the Borough of Hartlepool


Listed buildings and scheduled monuments in the Borough of Hartlepool:

Structure List No. Grade Built~ Ward / Locality Note

1-6, Regent Street

1263227 II C19th Headland  

1-7, Albion Terrace

1250109 II C19th Headland  

1-8, Regent Square

1263261 II C19th Headland  

27 and 29, Middlegate

1250272 II c.1700 Headland  

33, Town Wall

1263155 II C18th Headland  

34, Town Wall

1250536 II C18th Headland  

35, Town Wall

1250656 II C18th Headland  

36 and 36a, Town Wall

1250537 II C18th Headland  

62, Southgate

1263209 II C19th Headland  

8-12, Albion Terrace

1263430 II C19th Headland  

9 10 and 11, Regent Square

1250395 II C19th Headland  

9-21, Regent Street

1263297 II C19th Headland  

Archway Cottage

1250396 II C19th Headland Regent Street

Borough Buildings and Borough Hall

1263357 II 1865 Headland Middlegate

Low Throston deserted medieval village

1006765 n/a Medieval   Scheduled Monument

Claxton medieval moated site

1013947 n/a   Claxton Scheduled Monument

Medieval farmstead and irregular open field system at High Burntoft Farm

1015207 n/a   Elwick Scheduled Monument

Fishpond, enclosures and section of field system 165m north west of Elwick Hall

1016353 n/a   Elwick Scheduled Monument

Great house 50m west of St Mary Magdalene's Church

1018945 n/a   Hart Scheduled Monument

Fishponds 70m north of St Mary Magdalene's Church

1018947 n/a   Hart Scheduled Monument

Maritime Wreck - Seaton Sands

1000077 n/a C18th Seaton Carew Protected Wreck

Ward Jackson Park

1001349 II C19th West  

Heugh coastal artillery battery immediately north west of Heugh Lighthouse

1020801 n/a 1860 Headland Scheduled Monument

Boundary Wall Railings and Gate Enclosing South East and West Sides of Number 62

1250530 II C19th Headland Southgate

Carnegie Building and No. 72

1250388 II 1903 Headland Northgate

Numbers 2 and 3 (Duke of Cleveland's House) and East Extensions

1250117 II* C17th Headland Church Walk

Church of St Hilda

1263355 I c.1200 Headland  

Church of St Mary

1250263 II 1850 Headland  

Churchyard Boundary Wall and Gate Piers to Church of St Hilda

1250269 II C18th Headland  

Former Church of St Andrew

1250674 II 1886 Headland  

Mayfield House

1250312 II C19th Headland Friar Terrace

Moor House

1250267 II C19th Headland Friar Terrace

North East Wing of St Hilda's Hospital

1263353 II c.1600 Headland Former manor house

Number 3 and Adjoining Wall

1250111 II C18th Headland Bakers Place

Piercliffe

1250397 II C18th Headland South Cresecent

Remains of Town Wall remains of Town Wall to South East Side of South Crescent

1250528 II C14th Headland  

Remains of Wayside Cross

1263435 II Medieval Headland Relocated near St Hilda's Church

Rockhurst

1263208 II C19th Headland South Crescent

Sebastopol Gun

1250110 II C18th Headland off Bath Terrace

Town Wall and Sandwell Gate

1250535 I C14th Headland  

Union House

1250593 II c.1840 Headland Southgate

United Reformed Church

1263352 II 1843 Headland Durham Street

Victoria Buildings and 2 Middlegate

1263065 II 1853 Headland Victoria Street

War Memorial in Redheugh Gardens

1263296 II 1921 Headland  

Water Pump Approximately 14 Metres to South West of Number 101

1250270 II C19th Headland High Street

Church of All Saints

1250534 II* C12th Burn Valley Stranton

125 and 127, Park Road

1263295 II 1898 Burn Valley  

Arts and Crafts Block with Attached Covered

1271981 II 1904 Burn Valley Eamont Gardens

Greystones

1250859 II 1905 Burn Valley Grange

Park Tower (Former North Eastern Co-Operative Society Department Store)

1250532 II 1915 Burn Valley Stranton

Steelworkers' War Memorial, approximately 15 metres to south west of South Durham Steelworks

1250672 II 1920 Burn Valley Westbourne Road

Strathmore House

1250531 II c.1880 Burn Valley Stockton Road, Stranton

Wilton Grange

1250268 II 1903 Burn Valley Grange Road

College Farmhouse and Farm Cottage Adjoining

1139818 II c.1700 Dalton Piercy  

Manor Farmhouse, Adjoining Cottage and Outhouse

1159352 II C19th Dalton Piercy  

Priory Farmhouse and Farm Cottage Adjoining

1159334 II C18th Dalton Piercy  

Rose Cottage, and Outhouse Adjoining

1329534 II c.1700 Dalton Piercy  

Tunnel Under Railway Embankment

1250860 II c.1835 De Bruce  

Church of St. Peter

1139821 II* C12th Elwick  

Elwick Hall elwick Hall Flats

1311041 II C18th Elwick  

Elwick Windmill

1159373 II C19th Elwick  

The Forge

1139820 II C18th Elwick  

Wilton Cottage and Right Extension

1139819 II c.1700 Elwick  

Church of St Aidan Including Walls, Railings and Gates

1263293 II 1891 Foggy Furze Oxford Street

Church of St John the Baptist

1263522 II* C12th Greatham  

Greatham Hospital

1249889 II 1804 Greatham Former almshouse

10 and 12, Front Street

1159477 II C18th Greatham  

16, Front Street

1139825 II C19th Greatham  

18, Front Street

1159494 II c.1800 Greatham  

2, Front Street

1139822 II C19th Greatham  

4, Front Street

1139823 II C19th Greatham  

5, High Street

1249891 II C18th Greatham  

50 High Street

1249897 II C18th Greatham  

Barn Approximately 4 Metres to North West of Number 2 Front Street

1263510 II C17th Greatham  

Boundary Wall and Gate Piers 12 Metres to East of Briarmead

1249894 II 1883 Greatham  

Boundary Wall and Gate Piers 3 Metres to East of St Francis Cottage

1249895 II c.1895 Greatham  

Boundary Wall and Gatepiers to Garden of No. 6 Front Street

1139824 II C19th Greatham  

Boundary Wall and Gatepiers to North of Number 2 Front

1159455 II C19th Greatham  

Briarmead

1249892 II 1883 Greatham House

Coach House and Stable to St Francis Cottage

1249896 II 1905 Greatham  

Dormer Parkhursts Hospital

1139826 II 1761 Greatham  

Greatham House and Left Extension

1159475 II C18th Greatham  

Greatham War Memorial

1437141 II 1922 Greatham  

Hospital Chapel

1249890 II 1788 Greatham  

St Francis Cottage

1263520 II c.1895 Greatham  

Stable Block 4 Metres to East of Briarmead

1249893 II 1883 Greatham  

Church of St Mary Magdalene

1249898 I C12th Hart  

Boundary Wall to West of Church of St Mary Magdalene

1249899 II*   Hart  

Brus Wall Approximately 60 Metres to South West of St Mary Magdalene's Church

1250029 II c.1300? Hart  

Clevecote

1263523 II c.1840 Hart House

Hart Windmill 60 Metres to South East of Hart Mill Farmhouse

1263429 II C19th Hart  

Home Farmhouse and Farm Cottage

1249900 II C18th Hart  

Voltigeur Cottage

1250035 II C18th Hart  

Christ Church

1250112 II* 1854 Headland and Harbour Now Hartlepool Art Gallery

38 Church Street

1250115 II 1899 Headland and Harbour Former bank

6, Scarborough Street

1250491 II c.1900 Headland and Harbour  

Athenaeum

1263433 II 1851 Headland and Harbour Former Literary and Mechanics' Institute

Bank Chambers

1250116 II 1913 Headland and Harbour  

Beacon Tower at East End of North Pier of West Harbour

1250819 II c.1850 Headland and Harbour  

Bollard at North East Corner of Stranton Hotel

1263163 II 1878 Headland and Harbour  

Bollard at South East Corner of Number 10 Stranton

1250533 II 1878 Headland and Harbour  

Boundary Wall Gate Piers and Steps to Rear (West) and Side (North) of Old Dock Offices

1250671 II c.1846 Headland and Harbour  

Church Square Chambers

1263434 II c.1850 Headland and Harbour  

Cleveland College of Art and Design, Former Municipal Buildings

1250113 II 1889 Headland and Harbour  

Cleveland College of Art and Design, Old Registrar’s Office and Rear Extension

1250262 II 1871 Headland and Harbour Former police station and court

Former Constitutional Club

1250673 II 1906 Headland and Harbour Whitby Street

Former GPO Sorting Office

1263125 II 1900 Headland and Harbour Whitby Street

Lion Sculpture and Pier 15 Metres to East of Lion Brewery

1250602 II 1852 Headland and Harbour  

Market Hotel

1250271 II C19th Headland and Harbour Lynn Street

Monument to Ralph Ward Jackson Approximately 34 Metres to North East of Christ Church

1250229 II 1897 Headland and Harbour  

Monument to Sir William Gray Approximately 20 Metres to South West of Christ Church

1263432 II 1898 Headland and Harbour  

Old Customs House and Adjoining Wings

1263124 II 1844 Headland and Harbour Victoria Terrace

Old Dock Offices and Rear Wings

1250670 II 1846 Headland and Harbour Victoria Terrace

Royal Hotel Public House 

1250245 II C19th Headland and Harbour Former railway hotel

Seaton High Light

1263126 II 1838 Headland and Harbour Windermere Road

The Shades Hotel

1250114 II C19th Headland and Harbour Church Street

Throston Engine House and Wall Adjoining

1250389 II 1830s Headland and Harbour Old Cemetery Road

Church of St Oswald

1263431 II 1904 Jesmond Brougham Terrace

War memorial outside St Oswald's Church, West Hartlepool

1441611 II 1920 Jesmond  

Mill House

1250675 II C18th Newton Bewley  

Bandstand bandstand in Ward Jackson Park

1263294 II 1901 Rural West  

Fountain fountain in Ward Jackson Park

1250392 II 1902 Rural West  
Hartlepool Borough Hall
  Co-Curate Page
Hartlepool Borough Hall
- Overview Map Street View Hartlepool Borough Hall was built on Middlegate in 1865, by C.J. Adams. The municipal buildings included a market hall. The 3-bay extension to the right of ...
Church of All Saints
  Co-Curate Page
Church of All Saints
- Overview Map Street View  
Church of St Hilda
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Hilda
- Overview Map Street View  
Church of St. Mary
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St. Mary
Church of St Peter, Elwick
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Peter, Elwick
- Overview Map Street View St Peter's Church is located at the top of Church Bank in Elwick. The church was built in the late 12th century, with a major restoration ...
Elwick Windmill
  Co-Curate Page
Elwick Windmill
- Overview Map Street View Elwick Windmill was built in the mid 19th century and is located about half a mile south west of Elwick, and is visible from the A19 ...
Church of St Andrew
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Andrew
- Overview Map Street View The former Church of St Andrew is located on York Place, Headland in Hartlepool. It was built in 1886 as a Chapel of ease and later ...
Heugh Battery
  Co-Curate Page
Heugh Battery
- Overview About Heugh Battery Map Street View The Heugh Gun Battery was built on the Headland in 1860 to protect the fast growing port of Hartlepool. The Battery guns were ...
Park Tower
  Co-Curate Page
Park Tower
- Overview Map Street View Park Tower in Hartlepool is the former North Eastern Co-operative Society department store, located on the corner of Park Road and Stranton. The building was designed by ...
Town Wall and Sandwell Gate
  Co-Curate Page
Town Wall and Sandwell Gate
War Memorial
  Co-Curate Page
War Memorial
- Overview About the Memorial Map Street View This war memorial is located in Redheugh Gardens, off Cliff Terrace in Headland, Hartlepool. The bronze statue of a winged figure "Triumphant Youth" ...
Ward Jackson Park
  Co-Curate Page
Ward Jackson Park
- Overview Map Street View Park in Hartlepool named after Ralph Ward Jackson (1806 - 1880), who founded West Hartlepool in the 19th century. The park includes a children's playground, lake, and ...
Church of St John the Baptist, Greatham
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St John the Baptist, Greatham
Hospital of God, Greatham
  Co-Curate Page
Hospital of God, Greatham
- Overview Map Street View Former almshouse, now residences for the elderly. This is a Grade 2 listed building. The Hospital of God was originally founded by the Bishop of Durham, Robert ...
War Memorial, Greatham
  Co-Curate Page
War Memorial, Greatham
- The war memorial in Greatham stands in the churchyard of the St John's Church. The memorial commemorates 13 local servicemen who died during the First World War and was unveiled ...
Throston Engine House
  Co-Curate Page
Throston Engine House
Statue of Ralph Ward Jackson, Church Street
  Co-Curate Page
Statue of Ralph Ward Jackson, Church Street
- Overview Map Street View The bronze statue of Ralph Ward Jackson on Church Street in Hartlepool was built in 1897, designed by Edward Onslow Ford.[1] The statue is Grade II ...
Municipal Buildings, Church Square
  Co-Curate Page
Municipal Buildings, Church Square
- The former Municipal Buildings on Church Square in Hartlepool are part of the Cleveland College of Art and Design.
Hartlepool Art Gallery / Christ Church
  Co-Curate Page
Hartlepool Art Gallery / Christ Church
- Overview About Hartlepool Art Gallery Map Street View Inside Christ Church on Church Square in Hartlepool was built for, what was then, the new and rapidly growing town of West ...
Hart Windmill
  Co-Curate Page
Hart Windmill
- Overview Map Street View  
Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Hart
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Hart
- Overview Map Street View The Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Hart was built in the 11th or 12th century, on the site of earlier churches going back to 675 ...
Mill House, Newton Bewley
  Co-Curate Page
Mill House, Newton Bewley
Church of St. Oswald
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St. Oswald
- Overview Map Street View St. Oswald's church is located on the corner of Brougham Terrace and Millibank Toad in the Dyke House area of Hartlepool. The church was built between ...
Bandstand
  Co-Curate Page
Bandstand
Fountain
  Co-Curate Page
Fountain
Clock Tower
  Co-Curate Page
Clock Tower
- Inscribed: "The gift of Alderman John Brown J.P. Mayor 1902-3-4. In Consideration for others 1921".[1]

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES