The Athenaeum, Hartlepool
The Athenaeum is located on the corner of Church Street and Lynn Street in Hartlepool. It was originally built in 1851 as West Hartlepool Literary and Mechanics' Institute. There is a plaque dating the building to the right of the main doorway, by R.H. Robson (Land Agent to West Hartlepool Dock Co.). The Institute included a library, newsroom, classrooms and a laboratory. Victorian dignatories, including Charles Dickens, gave public lectures there. The building is now a private club on the first floor, with shops below. The Athenaeum is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.