Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Hepple Civil Parish

Hepple Civil Parish


Parish boundaries may have changed - for the latest map see the Parish Council or Northumberland County Council.

About the Parish

Main Settlements: Hepple (village) and various hamlets/farmsteads including FlottertonBickerton , Swindon, Caistron, Farnham, and Wreighill
Population:

144  (2011 Census)

139  (2001 Census)

Area: 60.0 km2
Parish Council: Hepple Parish Council
Unitary Authority: Northumberland County Council

Historical

Ancient Townships:

Hepple Township

Hepple Demense Township

Townships became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below).

The Civil Parish of Hepple Demense, formed from the township in 1866, was abolished in 1889.

Ancient Parish:

Rothbury Parish  (All Saints)

Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.

Ancient District:

Coquetdale (ward)

Poor Law Union:

Rothbury Poor Law Union, formed in 1836. 

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls. 

The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as ‘Public Assistance Institutions’ until the National Assistance Act 1948.

Major Boundry Change:

From 1st April 1955 Hepple Civil Parish absorbed:

District Council:

Rothbury Rural District, formed in 1894. The district was abolished in 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972.

Alnwick District (Borough) from 1974 to 2009. Alnwick District covered the area of 4 former districts (Alnwick Urban District, Amble Urban District, Alnwick Rural District and Rothbury Rural District).

The borough council was abolished when Northumberland became a unitary authority on the 1st of April 2009.

County / Unitary Authority

The ancient county of Northumberland was enlarged following the Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844; Bedlingtonshire, Norhamshire, Islandshire, the Farne Islands and Monks' House all became part of Northumberland. Up to then they had been enclaves of County Durham.

Northumberland County Council formed 1889.

Major boundary changes came into effect on the 1st April 1974. This followed the Local Government Act 1972, which formed the non-metropolitan county of Northumberland. This excluded the City of Newcastle upon Tyne and North Tyneside, which up to then had been part of Northumberland, but now became part of the newly formed Tyne & Wear.

Northumberland County Council became a unitary authority on the 1st of April 2009.

See also: Historic Buildings and Monuments in Hepple Civil Parish Note: listed buildings are generally the responsibility of the county council, rather than the parish council.

Civil Parishes in Northumberland Flotterton Hepple Township, 1848 Hepple Demesne, 1848 Bickerton The Raw, Northumberland Hepple Farnham Historic Buildings and Monuments in Hepple Civil Parish Wreighill
Hepple
  Co-Curate Page
Hepple
- Overview About Hepple Map Street View   Hepple is a small village and parish in rural Northumberland, 4 miles (6.4 km) west of Rothbury, which provides most of its local ...
Farnham
  Co-Curate Page
Farnham
- Overview Map Street View The hamlets of Low Farnham and High Farnham are situated by the River Coquet, located about 5 miles west of Rothbury in Northumberland. Low Farnham is ...
Flotterton
  Co-Curate Page
Flotterton
- FLOTTERTON, a township, in the parish and union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 3¾ miles (W.) from Rothbury; containing 64 inhabitants. This place, which ...
Bickerton
  Co-Curate Page
Bickerton
- BICKERTON, a township, in the parish and union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 4¾ miles (W. by S.) from Rothbury; containing 18 inhabitants. It ...
Hepple Demesne, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Hepple Demesne, 1848
- HEPPLE-DEMESNE, a township, in the parish and union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland; containing, with Whitefield House, 23 inhabitants. It was anciently held by ...
from http://www.parish-council.c...
Hepple Parish Council
- "The pupose of this site is to improve communications between the council and all those who live within the parish boundary. Hepple Parish Council serves the village of Hepple as ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Hepple Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Hepple Township, 1848
- HEPPLE, a township, in the parish and union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 5½ miles (W. by S.) from the town of Rothbury; containing ...
  Co-Curate Page
The Raw, Northumberland
- Not to be confused with the hamlets of East Raw and West Raw which are about 9 miles east of The Raw. Presumably there is a link between them.

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES