Topics > Northumberland > Caistron
CAISTRON, a township, in the parish and union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 4½ miles (W.) from Rothbury; containing 54 inhabitants. This pleasant village, around which is a fertile alluvial soil, is situated on the brink of the Coquet, one mile south-by-west from Flotterton. It was formerly the property of three persons of the name of Hall, called respectively in the neighbourhood, duke, lord, and lawyer, and one of whom bequeathed, in 1779, the annual sum of £4. 15. to be paid out of his estate towards the support of a schoolmaster in the place. A school-house was erected in 1792, with money left by the Rev. John Tomlinson and others.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Grid ref: NT996014
Add a comment or share a memory.