FLOTTERTON, a township, in the parish and union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 3¾ miles (W.) from Rothbury; containing 64 inhabitants. This place, which was a possession of Robert de Umfraville, Earl of Angus, is on the road from Rothbury to Alwinton, and on the north side of the Coquet river; the soil is a light loam. The tithes have been commuted for £98. 14. 6. At Plainfield, in the township, Lord Derwentwater and others first raised the standard of the Pretender, and proclaimed him king.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.