Topics > County Durham > Civil Parishes in County Durham > Gainford and Langton Civil Parish > Gainford Parish, 1848

Gainford Parish, 1848


GAINFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the unions of Teesdale, Darlington, and Auckland, chiefly in the S.W., but partly in the S.E., division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham; comprising the chapelries of Barnard-Castle, Denton, and Whorlton, and the townships of Bolam, Cleatlam, Gainford, Headlam, Houghton-le-Side, Langton, Marwood, Morton-Tynemouth, Pierse-Bridge, Stainton with Streatlam, Summerhouse, and Westwick; the whole containing 7,083 inhabitants, of whom 585 are in the township of Gainford, 7¾ miles (W. by N.) from Darlington. This place was anciently a seigniory detached from the palatinate jurisdiction of the county, and invested with several valuable privileges and immunities. It appears to have been indebted for its origin to Egfrid, Bishop of Lindisfarne, who founded a church, which in 830 he gave to the see, together with the lands annexed to it, and which continued to form part of the episcopal possessions till the commencement of the 11th century. The parish includes the market town of Barnard-Castle, and is separated from Yorkshire by the river Tees, along the north bank of which it stretches for many miles: the surface is undulated, the soil fertile, and the scenery, in many parts enriched with timber, is generally of pleasing character. The substratum near the river is principally gravel, and freestone of good quality for building is abundant; at Summerhouse, Morton, Langton, and Pierse-Bridge, are extensive quarries of magnesian limestone.

The village is situated in the middle of the river-vale, surrounded on the Durham side by rich meadows and wooded inclosures sloping gently to the Tees, on the other side of which the grounds rise rapidly, and are crowned by scattered woods. It forms an irregular square, with a level green in the centre, and contains many modern houses, extending along the high road parallel with the river. Gainford Hall, a mansion of the age of James I. or Charles I., is at the west end of the village, environed by old gardens and orchards. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £39. 6. 0½., and in the gift of Trinity College, Cambridge, to which the impropriation also belongs; net income, £768, with a parsonage-house. The great tithes of the township of Gainford have been commuted for £230, and the small for £164. The church has been frequently repaired, and is a handsome and regular structure, consisting of a nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; a gallery was erected on the north side by the late J. W. Elliott, Esq. There are churches at Barnard-Castle, Denton, and Whorlton; and in the village is a place of worship for Wesleyans. By the side of a hedge on the road between the village and PierseBridge, stands the pedestal of a cross, called White Cross. There are some mineral springs. Gainford was for many years the residence of the humble but industrious antiquary, John Cade, who died here in 1806.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Gainford and Langton Civil Parish Barnard Castle, 1848 Westwick Township, 1848 Stainton with Streatlam Township, 1848 County Durham, 1848 - Parishes and Townships Gainford Houghton-Le-Side, 1848 Cleatlam Bolam Township (County Durham), 1848 Morton Tinmouth, 1848 Langton Township, 1848 Gainford, Historical Description, 1890
Morton Tinmouth, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Morton Tinmouth, 1848
- MORTON-TYNEMOUTH, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 8½ miles (N.W. by W.) from ...
Langton Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Langton Township, 1848
- LANGTON, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 8 miles (N.W. by W.) from ...
Bolam Township (County Durham), 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Bolam Township (County Durham), 1848
- BOLAM, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Auckland, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 5 miles (S. by W.) from ...
Cleatlam
  Co-Curate Page
Cleatlam
- Overview About Cleatlam Map Street View CLEATLAM, a township, partly in the parish of Staindrop, partly in that of Gainford, and partly in that of Winstone, union of Teesdale, S. ...
Barnard Castle, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Barnard Castle, 1848
- BARNARD-CASTLE, a market-town and chapelry, in the parish of Gainford, union of Teesdale, S.W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 25 miles (S.W. by W.) ...
Westwick Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Westwick Township, 1848
- WESTWICK, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 2 miles (S.E.) from Barnard-Castle; containing ...
Stainton with Streatlam Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Stainton with Streatlam Township, 1848
- STAINTON, with Streatlam, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 1¾ mile (N.E. by ...
  Co-Curate Page
Houghton-Le-Side, 1848
- HOUGHTON-LE-SIDE, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Darlington, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 6¼ miles (N.W. by N.) from ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES