Bolam Township (County Durham), 1848
BOLAM, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Auckland, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 119 inhabitants. It is situated on a lofty ridge of limestone, commanding an extensive prospect to the south and west; and comprises 950 acres, of which 500 are arable, 438 grass land, and 12 wood: the soil, with a trifling exception of cold clay, is productive. The township is remarkable for a whinstone dyke, which proves itself to be of later formation than the coal-field through which it runs, as the coal is, on both sides of the stone where they have come in contact, converted into cinders: quarries are worked, supplying a material for the repair of roads. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £62. 10., payable to Trinity College, Cambridge, and the vicarial for £46. 10. A chapel has been recently erected. William Garth, father of the celebrated Sir Samuel, physician and poet, was a landowner in the place; and the name of the family occurs twice in the parochial register of Gainford in the year 1747.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
In 1866, Bolam Civil Parish was formed from the township. This followed the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes".