Langton Township, 1848
LANGTON, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 8 miles (N.W. by W.) from Darlington; containing 99 inhabitants. This place, under the appellation of Langadun, was one of the vills surrendered by Bishop Aldhune to the earls of Northumberland; it long formed part of the estate of the Nevills, was included in their forfeiture, and is now the property of the Duke of Cleveland. Langton-Grange was for some years the residence of the Countess Dowager of Darlington. The township comprises 1061a. 2r.: a magnesian limestone-quarry is in full operation. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £61. 16., and the impropriate for £118. 2. 9., payable to Trinity College, Cambridge.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
In 1866, Langton Civil Parish was formed from the township. This followed the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes".