Topics > County Durham > Civil Parishes in County Durham > Gainford Civil Parish

Gainford Civil Parish


About the Parish

Main Settlements: Gainford (village)
Population:

1,241  (2011 Census)

1,110  (2001 Census)

Area: 9.48 km²
Parish Council: Gainford and Langton Parish Council - joint council with Langton CP
Unitary Authority: Durham County Council

Historical

Ancient Township:

Gainford Township

Townships became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below).

Ancient Parish:

Gainford Parish  (St Mary)

The ancient parish covered a much wider area than the modern civil parish. It included the chapelries of Barnard-Castle, Denton, and Whorlton, and the townships of Bolam, Cleatlam, Gainford, Headlam, Houghton-le-Side, Langton, Marwood, Morton-Tynemouth, Pierse-Bridge, Stainton with Streatlam, Summerhouse, and Westwick.

Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.

Poor Law Union:

Teesdale Poor Law Union, formed in 1837.

Teesdale Union Workhouse was located at Barnard Castle. 

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls. 

The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as 'Public Assistance Institutions' until the National Assistance Act 1948.

District Council:

Barnard Castle Rural District, formed in 1894. The district was abolished in 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972.

Teesdale District (County Durham) from 1974 to 2009.

The district council was abolished when County Durham became a unitary authority on the 1st of April 2009.

See also: Historic Buildings and Monuments in Gainford Civil Parish Note: listed buildings are generally the responsibility of the county council, rather than the parish council.

Civil Parishes in County Durham Gainford Gainford Parish, 1848 Historic Buildings and Monuments in Gainford Civil Parish
from https://gainfordandlangtonp...
Gainford and Langton Parish Council

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Gainford
  Co-Curate Page
Gainford
- Overview About Gainford History Map Street View Gainford is a village in County Durham located by the River Tees and about 6 miles West of Darlington and a similar distance East ...
from https://www.thenorthernecho...
Gainford and Langton Parish Council becomes first in county to be given go-ahead for neighbourhood plan
- Northern Echo, 8th June 2013. "A TEESDALE parish council has become the first in the county to get the go-ahead to help shape the future of the community it serves ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES