Stainton with Streatlam Township, 1848
STAINTON, with Streatlam, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 1¾ mile (N.E. by N.) from Barnard Castle; containing 373 inhabitants, of whom 112 are in the hamlet of Stainton. This hamlet at an early period belonged to the Traynes, lords of Streatlam; and was acquired, by marriage with the heiress of Trayne, by Sir Adam Bowes. The estate afterwards became separated from the Streatlam property, but was re-united to it in 1526, when the Hedlam family assigned the lands to Sir William Bowes. About a century subsequently, a portion of Stainton was again detached, and so continued until the commencement of the present century, when the late Earl of Strathmore once more annexed Stainton to Streatlam. The village is small, and scattered on a high exposed site; the houses standing on the brink of large quarries of freestone, from which the materials for most of the buildings in the neighbourhood have been obtained. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £100, and the impropriate for £204. 13. 6.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.