Topics > Tees Valley > Piercebridge > Piercebridge, 1848
PIERSE-BRIDGE, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Darlington, S.W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 5½ miles (W. by N.) from Darlington; containing 224 inhabitants. This place occupies the site of a considerable Roman station, the Ad Tisam, probably, of Richard's Fourth Iter. The north and west sides of the vallum, and part of the south side, are still conspicuous: the Watling-street passes on the east, at the distance of a few yards; and many coins and other antiquities, including a fine altar and several urns and inscriptions, have been found. The place is noticed by Leland, who mentions "a prati chapel of our Lady, hard by Persebrige, of the foundation of John Balliol, King of Scottes;" of this chapel, which was dedicated to the Virgin, and valued at the Dissolution at £2. 2. 4., there were some remains at the close of the last century. Here was likewise, it is said, a chapel in honour of St. Helen. The township is chiefly the property of the Duke of Cleveland, and comprises 920a. 1r. 12p., of which the soil is fertile, and the scenery picturesque, especially on the Tees, over which is a stone bridge of three arches. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £90. 10., payable to Trinity College, Cambridge; and the vicarial tithes for £97. 8. 5. About 200 yards below the present bridge, foundations of a more ancient one were visible in 1771, but every vestige was swept away by the floods of that year. In December, 1642, the Earl of Newcastle, retreating from the north for the purpose of relieving York, forced the passage over the bridge, which was disputed by Capt. Hotham; and cannon-balls and other relics have been since found at different times.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.