Morton Tinmouth, 1848
MORTON-TYNEMOUTH, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 8½ miles (N.W. by W.) from Darlington; containing 28 inhabitants. This was one of the twenty-five vills given up by Bishop Aldhune to the earls of Northumberland. The estate was for some time the property of the prior of Tynemouth, from which circumstance the addition to its name is derived; and it afterwards reverted, probably by exchange, to the see of Durham. Among the families who have held lands here, occur those of Graystaynes, Alwent, Phillip, Birkbeck, and Craddock. The township comprises about 399 acres of land. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £30. 12. 3.; and the impropriate for £68. 2. 10., payable to Trinity College, Cambridge.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.