Allendale, Northumberland


 

What was written about Allendale in 1833:

ALLENDALE a parochial chapelry in Northumberland with a population of 5540 inhabitants in 1831 containing the townships of East Allendale West Allendale Catton and Keenly. The first of these comprehends the market town of Allendale irregularly built on the right bank of the East Allen brook which flows into the South Tyne about 10 miles SW of Hexham and 286 NNW from London. The chief employment of the inhabitants is furnished by the important lead mines in the neighbourhood or by the smelting houses and other establishments dependent upon them. The perpetual curacy of Allendale is in the gift of Mr Beaumont who is lord of the manor and proprietor of the whole of Allendale. The parish which is in the diocese of York has lately been divided into four parts with four places of worship of the Establishment viz the chapels of St Peter in the town of Allendale and of Ninebanks both rebuilt within a few years and those of East and West Allen recently erected for the use of the mining population. All these are in the gift of Mr Beaumont. There are also meeting houses for the Quakers and Wesleyan Methodists. A free grammar school was founded about the close of the seventeenth century and endowed by several individuals a subscription library was founded in 1825. The market is on Fridav and there are three fairs in the year.

(Source: C. Knight, 1833)

Allendale, often marked on maps as Allendale Town, is a village and civil parish in south west Northumberland, England. At the 2001 census, the parish had a population of 2,120, decreasing to 2,021 at the 2011 Census. Allendale is within the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) – the second largest of the 40 AONBs in England and Wales. The local economy is predominantly based on agriculture (notably sheep farming) and tourism, although of late it has become a popular commuter town for Newcastle upon Tyne.

History

Allendale refers to the "dale" or valley of the River Allen. Evidence of prehistoric settlement has been found on the surrounding moorland. In the 16th century this area, close to the Scottish border, was a lawless and troubled place. Fortified farmhouses known as 'bastles' were constructed to protect residents and livestock against reiver raids. Allendale has one of the greatest concentrations of bastles in the country and around 40 can still be seen, many as scenic ruins.

Local mining for lead has occurred since Roman times, with the first smelting mill being constructed in the 1600s. The significant growth of Allendale Town and the surrounding villages was fuelled by that of the local lead-mining and smelting industries in the nineteenth century. The remains of two flues from the former smelting mill (between Allendale and Catton) run to chimneys up on the fells high above the village. The smelting mill is now home to the Allendale Brewery and the Allenmills Regeneration Project.

In 1869, the Hexham to Allendale railway was opened to provide improved transport, but its opening coincided with a rapid decline in the industry due to cheap imports of lead. The last mines in the area closed in 1894 (although an attempt was made to re-open the mine at Allenheads in the 1970s).

With the closure of the lead mines, the population rapidly declined and Allendale became a popular tourist destination for Edwardian Tynesiders seeking a country escape. The railway was finally closed to passengers in 1930 and to goods in 1950 (when the local terminus was bought by the stationmaster and opened as a caravan park.

The town is famous for a New Year celebration where lighted tar barrels are carried on the heads of revellers called guisers. This tradition dates back to 1858. It appears to have originated from the lighting of a silver band that were carolling at New Year. They were unable to use candles to light their music due to the strong winds, so someone suggested a tar barrel be used. Having to move from place to place, it would have been easier to carry the barrels upon the guisers' heads, rather than rolling them. There have been claims that it is a pagan festival, however, these claims are unfounded.

The town or dale's name is referenced in Charles Jefferys' and Sidney Nelson's 1836 ballad Rose of Allendale, sung by Paddy Reilly, The Dubliners and many others, as well as in 'Lucy Gray of Allendale', a musical setting of the earliest known work by Cumbrian poet Robert Anderson.

Governance

Allendale is in the parliamentary constituency of Hexham. Local services are provided by Northumberland County Council.

Economy

The village hosts a health centre, village shop, Post Office, Co-Operative store, brewery, butchers, chemist, gift shop, tea-room, art-cafe, beauty and holistic healing centre, and several pubs (including The Kings Head, The Allendale Inn and The Golden Lion). There is also an Indian restaurant, The Mill Tandoori, which opened in June 2014.

Owing to its location, Allendale is a popular country-holiday destination. There are a number of holiday cottages in and around the village as well as a caravan park (holiday static caravans).

Public services

Allendale hosts a scout group and there is an active village hall that hosts regular events. Allendale Library is located at Dawson Place in the village square.

There is also a fire station within the town housing one fire appliance that is staffed by part-time (retained) firefighters

The local community is served both by the Anglican church of St. Cuthbert's and a Methodist chapel.

Transport

Allendale is located 10 miles from the A69 at Hexham. The village is served by bus service 688 to Allenheads, Hexham and Langley as well as by a local taxi & bus operator. The nearest railway stations are at Hexham and Haydon Bridge, on the Carlisle-Newcastle line.

Education

Allendale has a thriving and friendly Primary School. Allendale Middle School was closed in July 2013 and 2 tier education came into force in September 2013. Allendale First School left their site on Shilburn Road and moved over to the previous middle school site on 6 November 2013 after a 4 month refurbishment.

Sports

Allen Valley Angling and Conservation provides permits to fish the River East Allen and supports conservation efforts to improve fish stock and riverside access. The river is home to wild brown trout and visiting spawning sea trout and salmon.

Allendale Sports Club operates senior and junior football clubs and other associated sports groups, including a local league netball team. It also has 4 full size tennis courts. The Allen Valley Striders running club welcomes runners of all abilities, including novices, and is also based at the Allendale Sports Club.

Allendale Golf Club was founded in 1906, and the scenic course and clubhouse are located south of the village with green fees offering both annual and easy per-round playing opportunities.

Allendale Cricket Club fields two weekly teams and is affiliated with both the Northumberland Cricket Board and the West Tyne Senior Cricket League. The cricket ground is located just below the village on the riverside.

Each Spring, the Allendale Challenge is a popular fell challenge walk. Organised by North Of Tyne MRT the 25 mile route covers some of the finest peat bogs in the North Pennines on an anti-clockwise loop from Allendale town.

Awards

The village was the all-England winner of the Calor Village of The Year competition (2007). The Calor Village of the Year competition is organised annually by Community Action Northumberland (CAN) with sponsorship provided by LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) supplier Calor.

The Co-Op was named "North-East Rural Retailer of the Year".

Allendale Caravan Park holds a Gold David Bellamy Award and was awarded a Special Award for Conservation, one of only 14 in England.

Notable people

The poet Philip Larkin and Monica Jones used to attend the 'Tar barrel' celebrations in Allendale, when they were staying at Monica's cottage in Haydon Bridge; they were certainly there in 1966 and again in 1970 and 1976. Larkin was, rather uncharacteristically, thrilled by it all.

Allendale is the home of climate scientist Nicholas Owens, former director of the British Antarctic Survey.

Allendale was the home town of sculptor Charles Sansbury until his death in 1989.

The parish around Allendale has two particularly useful websites: the Allen Valleys Community website and the Allen Valleys touristic website.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 03/11/2016).
Visit the page: Allendale, Northumberland for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
from Flickr (flickr)
Above Allendale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Allendale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...
Shield Street, Allendale Town
- Image from From geograph.org.uk CC-BY-SA 2.0

Added by
Simon Cotterill
River Allen
  Co-Curate Page
River Allen
- The Allen is a river in Northumberland which is a tributary of the River South Tyne. The River Allen forms with the confluence of the River East Allen and the ...
Allen Smelt Mill Chimneys
  Co-Curate Page
Allen Smelt Mill Chimneys
from Allen Valleys Local History (flickr)
Allendale 1904 [0031-003]

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Allen Valleys Local History (flickr)
Allendale 1910 [0002-294]

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.allenvalleysloca...
Allen Valleys Local History Group
- "The Allen Valleys Local History Group actively supports research into the history of the Allen valleys. It aims to share knowledge uncovered by the Group and others, while celebrating Allen ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Allen Valleys Local History (flickr)
Allendale [0023-019]

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Allen Valleys Local History (flickr)
Allendale May 1981 [0002-061]

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES