Tynemouth Priory and Castle


Tynemouth Castle is located on a rocky headland (known as Pen Bal Crag) at Tynemouth, overlooking Tynemouth Pier and the mouth of the River Tyne. The castle-towers, gatehouse and keep are combined with the ruins of the Benedictine priory where early kings of Northumbria were buried. The castle and priory are run by English Heritage.

Tynemouth Castle is located on a rocky headland (known as Pen Bal Crag), overlooking Tynemouth Pier. The moated castle-towers, gatehouse and keep are combined with the ruins of the Benedictine priory where early kings of Northumbria were buried. The coat of arms of the town of Tynemouth still includes three crowns commemorating the tradition that the Priory had been the burial place for three kings.

Origins of the Priory

Little is known of the early history of the site. Some Roman stones have been found there, but there is no definite evidence that it was occupied by the Romans. The Priory was founded early in the 7th century, perhaps by Edwin of Northumbria. In 651 Oswin, king of Deira was murdered by the soldiers of King Oswiu of Bernicia, and subsequently his body was brought to Tynemouth for burial. He became St Oswin and his burial place became a shrine visited by pilgrims. He was the first of the three kings buried at Tynemouth.

In 792 Osred II, who had been king of Northumbria from 789 to 790 and then deposed, was murdered. He also was buried at Tynemouth Priory. Osred was the second of the three kings buried at Tynemouth. The third king to be buried at Tynemouth was Malcolm III, king of Scotland, who was killed at the Battle of Alnwick in 1093. (This is the same Malcolm who appears in Shakespeare's Macbeth.) The king's body was sent north for reburial, in the reign of his son Alexander I, at Dunfermline Abbey, or possibly Iona.

Attacks by the Danes

In 800 the Danes plundered Tynemouth Priory, and afterwards the monks strengthened the fortifications sufficiently to prevent the Danes from succeeding when they attacked again in 832. However, in 865 the church and monastery were destroyed by the Danes. At the same time, the nuns of St Hilda, who had come there for safety, were massacred. The priory was again plundered by the Danes in 870. The priory was destroyed by the Danes in 875. The small parish church of St Mary remained. (citation required)

Norman rule

Earl Tostig made Tynemouth his fortress during the reign of Edward the Confessor. By that time, the priory had been abandoned and the burial place of St Oswin had been forgotten. According to legend, the St Oswin appeared in a vision to Edmund, a novice, who was living there as a hermit. The saint showed Edmund where his body lay and so the tomb was re-discovered in 1065. Tostig was killed at the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066 and so was not able to re-found the monastery as he had intended.

In 1074 Waltheof II, Earl of Northumbria, last of the Anglo-Saxon earls, granted the church to the monks of Jarrow together with the body of St Oswin (Oswine of Deira), which was transferred to that site for a while. In 1090 Robert de Mowbray, Earl of Northumberland decided to re-found Tynemouth Priory, but he was in dispute with William de St-Calais, the Bishop of Durham and so placed the priory under the jurisdiction of the priory of St Albans. Monks were sent from St Albans in 1090 to colonise the new monastery. However, when the abbot of St Albans visited in 1093, Prior Thurgot of Durham met him and prevented the usurpation of the rights of Durham.

In 1093 Malcolm III of Scotland invaded England and was killed at Alnwick by Robert de Mowbray. Malcolm's body was buried at Tynemouth Priory for a time, but it is believed that he was subsequently reburied in Dunfermline Abbey, in Scotland. In 1095 Robert de Mowbray took refuge in Tynemouth Castle after rebelling against William II. William besieged the castle and captured it after two months. Mowbray escaped to Bamburgh Castle, but subsequently returned to Tynemouth. The castle was re-taken and Mowbray was dragged from there and imprisoned for life for treason. In 1110 a new church was completed on the site.

The castle

It is believed that at the time of Robert Mowbray's capture in 1095 there was a castle on the site consisting of earthen ramparts and a wooden stockade. In 1296 the prior of Tynemouth was granted royal permission to surround the monastery with walls of stone, which he did. In 1390 a gatehouse and barbican were added on the landward side of the castle. Much remains of the priory structure as well as the castle gatehouse and walls which are 3200 feet (975 m) in length. (Although the promontory was originally completely enclosed by a curtain wall and towers, the north and east walls fell into the sea, and most of the south wall was demolished; the west wall and the gatehouse remain in good condition.)

Edward II

In 1312 King Edward II took refuge in Tynemouth Castle together with his favourite Piers Gaveston, before fleeing by sea to Scarborough Castle. These events were dramatised by Christopher Marlowe in his play Edward II, published in 1594.

Act 2 Scene 2 of the play is set 'Before Tynemouth Castle'; Act 2 Scene 3 is set 'Near Tynemouth Castle'; and Act 2 Scene 4 is set 'In Tynemouth Castle'. Tynemouth Priory was also the resting place of Edward's illegitimate son Adam FitzRoy. FitzRoy accompanied his father in the Scottish campaigns of 1322, and died shortly afterwards on 18 September 1322, of unknown causes, and was buried at Tynemouth Priory on 30 September 1322; his father paid for a silk cloth with gold thread to be placed over his body.

Reformation

In 1538 the monastery of Tynemouth was disbanded by Robert Blakeney, the last prior of Tynemouth. At that time, apart from the prior, there were fifteen monks and three novices in residence. The priory and its attached lands were taken over by King Henry VIII who granted them to Sir Thomas Hilton. The monastic buildings were dismantled leaving only the church and the Prior's house. The castle, however, remained in royal hands. New artillery fortifications were built from 1545 onwards, with the advice of Sir Richard Lee and the Italian military engineers Gian Tommaso Scala and Antonio da Bergamo. The medieval castle walls were updated with new gunports. The castle was the birthplace of Henry Percy, 9th Earl of Northumberland in 1564, during the period when his father, the 8th Earl, was guardian of the castle.

Subsequent history

Parish church

The church remained in use as a parish church until 1668 when a new church was built nearby. The ruins of the church can still be seen. Beneath them is a small (18 feet by 12 feet) chapel, the Oratory of St Mary or Percy Chapel. Its notable decorative features include a painted ceiling with numerous coats of arms and other symbols, stained-glass side windows, and a small rose window in the east wall, above the altar.

Lighthouse

In 1665 a lighthouse was erected on the headland (using stone taken from the priory), within the castle walls, as a guide to ships entering the River Tyne; it was rebuilt in 1775. (In earlier centuries a light had been maintained on the Priory tower for the benefit of mariners.) The lighthouse was initially coal-fired, but in 1802 an oil-fired argand light was installed; by 1871 it displayed a revolving red light. The lighthouse (which had been purchased by Trinity House in 1841) remained in operation until 1895, when it was replaced by St. Mary's Lighthouse in Whitley Bay to the north. It was subsequently demolished in 1898.

Coastal defence and Coastguard station

At the end of the 19th century the castle was used as a barracks with several new buildings being added. Many of these were removed after a fire in 1936. The castle played a role during World War II when it was used as a coastal defence installation covering the mouth of the river Tyne. The restored sections of the coastal defence emplacements are open to the public. These include a guardroom and the main armoury, where visitors can see how munitions were safely handled and protected.

More recently the site has hosted the modern buildings of Her Majesty's Coastguard; however the new coastguard station, built in 1980 and opened by Prince Charles, was closed in 2001.

Present-day

Tynemouth Castle and Priory is now managed by English Heritage, which charges a nominal admission fee.

Panorama

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 25/03/2016).
Visit the page: Tynemouth Castle and Priory for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
002588:Tynemouth Priory 1887

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
a128:Tynemouth Castle and Gate, Northumberland published 1785

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
002555: Tynemouth Castle 1902

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from TWAM (flickr)
Tynemouth Castle 12th September 1917

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
b034:View of Tynemouth Castle and Priory; Artist Unknown; late 1700s

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.english-heritage...
Tynemouth Priory and Castle - English Heritage
- The site includes visitor information, photographs and a PDF with arrival activities.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Youtube (youtube)
Tynemouth Castle aerial video - Over and Above Photography

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth priory

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth. Castle yard

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
gun from the Second World War

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
002698:The Monk's Stone Tynemouth Priory C. 1900

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Stained glass windows - Tynemouth Priory, Tynemouth, Tyne and Wear

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Stained glass windows - Tynemouth Priory, Tynemouth, Tyne and Wear

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Priory

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Priory

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Priory, Tynemouth, Tyne and Wear

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Priory, July 2005

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Priory

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Priory

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
tynemouth-priory-7.jpg

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Detail on a Gravestone in Tynemouth Priory Graveyard

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Priory and Sea Defences - Tynemouth, Tyne and Wear

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Gun Battery

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Priory

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Inside the Priory

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
ironic?

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Priory Gravestones

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Entering the Tyne on DFDS-11

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Lady Chapel

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
TYNEMOUTH PRIORY REMAINS

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Priory (9)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Priory & Castle, Coast & Castles Cycleway

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Priory & Castle, Coast & Castles Cycleway

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Priory engraving by William Miller after Turner R641.jpg

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Priory & Castle, Coast & Castles Cycleway

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
  from Simon Cotterill (Co-Curate Page)
Tynemouth
- Overview About Tynemouth Map Street View Priory & Castle Pier & Lighthouse Collingwood Monument Watch House Tynemouth Station Long Sands Outdoor Pool Black Middens Tynemouth Plaza Front Street Tynemouth is ...
from Flickr (flickr)
Open to the Heavens

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Sunshine on Tynemouth Priory, Tynemouth, Tyne and Wear

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Cannon - Tynemouth Priory, Tynemouth, Tyne and Wear

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth Priory, Tynemouth, Tyne and Wear

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMG_5013

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
castle and priory early 1500

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Tynemouth, Newcastle-on-Tyne, England-LCCN2002708007

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 206 of 'The Local Historian's Table Book of remarkable occurrences, historical facts, traditions, legendary and descriptive ballads, connected with the Counties of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, and Durham. Historical Division.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 715 of 'The Local Historian's Table Book of remarkable occurrences, historical facts, traditions, legendary and descriptive ballads, connected with the Counties of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, and Durham. Historical Division.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 145 of 'The Jubilee handbook of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and places of interest in the North of England, etc'

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 55 of 'The Local Historian's Table Book of remarkable occurrences, historical facts, traditions, legendary and descriptive ballads, connected with the Counties of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, and Durham. Historical Division.

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 210 of 'The Local Historian's Table Book of remarkable occurrences, historical facts, traditions, legendary and descriptive ballads, connected with the Counties of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, and Durham. Historical Division.

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 206 of 'The Local Historian's Table Book of remarkable occurrences, historical facts, traditions, legendary and descriptive ballads, connected with the Counties of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, and Durham. Historical Division.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
girtin_tynemouth_priory_sea_1797

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
002580:Tynemouth Priory 1901

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
a134:No Title available

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
053740:No Title available

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
020211:Tynemouth Priory Tynemouth North Tyneside 1970

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Youtube (youtube)
Tynemouth Castle and Priory 4k Drone Footage | #EpicDroneClips No12

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Youtube (youtube)
Drone - Tynemouth, Collingwood Monument and Tynemouth Priory 10/08/2016 - (4K)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Youtube (youtube)
MAVIC PRO Tynemouth-Priory 4K!

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Youtube (youtube)
Tynemouth pier & castle with DJI PHANTOM 4 drone

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES