DescriptionThe plaque on the railings reads: "The headland of PEN BAL CRAG "The place where now stands the Monastery of Tynemouth was anciently called by the Saxons Benebalcrag - Leland at the time of Henry VIII. So began the history of Tynemouth - its Priory, sacked by the Danes in 800, and castle walls started in 1095. Three Kings were buried within - Oswin, King of Deria (651), Osred King of Northumbria (792), Malcolm III King of Scotland (1093). Three crowns still adorn the North Tyneside coat of arms".
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution License
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8521690@N02/17030084989/
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 6 months ago
Viewed: 491 times
Picture Taken: Unknown