Topics > Heritage Sites > Tynemouth Priory and Castle > The Monk's Stone

The Monk's Stone


The Monk's Stone is the column from an old stone cross which originally stood north-west of Tynemouth on the ancient road to Tynemouth Priory close to Monk House Farm.[1] The stone orriginally marked the boundary between ecclesiastical land and civil land, before it was moved to the grounds of the Priory in c.1936.[2] The stone has an inscription "0 horrid dede, to kill a man for a pigge's hede." - to find out why, read the story of the Monk's Stone - who killed a man for a pigs head?.

Tynemouth Priory and Castle Story of the Monk's Stone
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
a127: The Monk's Stone

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
002698:The Monk's Stone Tynemouth Priory C. 1900

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(102): Tynemouth Priory, the Monk's Stone
- "An incomplete cross-shaft of sandstone, 193 cm high, 45.7 to 30.5 cm wide and 30.5 to 22.9 cm deep, very worn and broken. Decoration includes a ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 52 of 'Illustrated Handbook to the rivers Tyne, Blyth, and Wansbeck, etc'

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



Tyne & Wear HER: 102
Grid ref: NZ37336937

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES