Stannington Parish, 1848


STANNINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (S. by E.) from Morpeth; containing 1,121 inhabitants, and comprising the seven townships of Blagdon, Bellasis, Clifton with Coldwell, Duddo, Plessey with Shotton, Saltwick, and Stannington. The parish formed part of the extensive barony of Merlay, and among the proprietors have been the noble families of Greystock and Dacre. It is situated on the river Blyth, over which is a modern stone bridge: the soil is stiff, but generally fertile, and well fenced and tilled; the substratum abounds with coal, and with freestone. The vale of Stannington is beautifully picturesque; the village occupies a bold and tolerably dry situation, on the road from Newcastle to Morpeth. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 13. 4.; patron, the Bishop of Durham; impropriator, Sir M. W. Ridley, Bart. The great tithes have been commuted for £852; and the vicarial for £342, with a glebe of 21 acres. The church had formerly a chantry; one of the windows exhibits some fine specimens of stained glass, inserted in 1772, by the late Sir M. W. Ridley. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school has an endowment of £11 per annum.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Clifton, Northumberland
  Co-Curate Page
Clifton, Northumberland
- Overview About Clifton Map Street View Clifton is a hamlet in Northumberland, located about 1 mile south of Morpeth and 2 miles north of Stannington. It is part of the ...
Saltwick, Northumberland
  Co-Curate Page
Saltwick, Northumberland
- SALTWICK, a township, in the N. division of the parish of Stannington, union, and W. division, of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (S.S.W.) from Morpeth. This place ...
Blagdon Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Blagdon Township, 1848
- BLAGDON, a township, in the parish of Stannington, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6¾ miles (S.) from Morpeth. This place, which lies on the ...
Plessey with Shotton Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Plessey with Shotton Township, 1848
- SHOTTON, with Plessey, a township, in the parish of Stannington, union, and W. division, of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6¼ miles (S. by E.) from Morpeth; containing 387 ...
Bellasis Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Bellasis Township, 1848
- BELLASIS, a township, in the parish of Stannington, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Morpeth. The name, which has ...
Stannington, Northumberland
  Co-Curate Page
Stannington, Northumberland
- Overview About Stannington Map Street View   Stannington is a small village in central Northumberland which is associated with Morpeth and its county council. The population of the civil parish ...
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Stannington
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Stannington

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES