Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Stannington Civil Parish > Bellasis Township, 1848

Bellasis Township, 1848


BELLASIS, a township, in the parish of Stannington, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Morpeth. The name, which has been variously written Beleasise, Belessys, Belasyse, &c., signifies "a handsome place," but the spot does not now, whatever its past appearance may have been, bear out the title; it is in a low situation, sheltered with rising ground to the north, and has the Blyth before it, the winding waters of which are made deep and slow by the wears of Stannington mill.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Stannington Civil Parish Bellasis Stannington Parish, 1848
from https://openlibrary.org/boo...
A topographical dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, 7th Ed., 1848
- A topographical dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships, and the islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with historical and statistical ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES