Plessey with Shotton Township, 1848
SHOTTON, with Plessey, a township, in the parish of Stannington, union, and W. division, of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6¼ miles (S. by E.) from Morpeth; containing 387 inhabitants. The historical notices respecting the property are of considerable interest. The canons of Brinkburne, the monks of Newminster, and the nuns of Newcastle, all had possessions here; and among other owners of land occur the families of Shotton, Plessey, Fitz-Roger, and Paris; one of whom, Sir John de Plessey, in 1269 or 1270, founded a chapel, which had a considerable endowment, but of which nothing is now known, the last mention of it occurring in 1491. The place stands on a bold sandstone eminence overlooking the winding course of the Blyth, and having in sight Simonside, the Cheviot hills, and a broad expanse of the German Ocean.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.