Blagdon Township, 1848
BLAGDON, a township, in the parish of Stannington, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6¾ miles (S.) from Morpeth. This place, which lies on the south side of the Blyth, was formerly called Blakedene, and was part of the ancient barony of Morpeth: the family of Fenwick flourished on the spot for three centuries, the 15th, 16th, and 17th; it is now the property of Sir M. White Ridley, Bart., who resides at Blagdon Hall. The present mansion owes its origin to M. White, Esq., who died in 1749, since which time valuable additions and improvements have been made; it is a very extensive pile, and the main front, facing the south, has a sumptuous suite of rooms on the ground-floor, consisting of a saloon, dining and drawing rooms, and library, in all 135 feet long. The Blakedene, bordered by forest-trees, runs behind the house, on the north.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.