Topics > Northumberland > Clifton


Clifton is a hamlet in Northumberland, located about 1 mile south of Morpeth and 2 miles north of Stannington. It is part of the Civil Parish of Stannington.

CLIFTON, with Coldwell, a township, in the N. division of the parish of Stannington, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 2½ miles (S.) from Morpeth. It is situated on the road between Morpeth and the township of Stannington, and is the property of the Earl of Carlisle. In the 12th century lands were held at Clifton, under Roger de Merlay, by William of Clifton: in the year 1240 the Conyers family appear to have been proprietors; and of subsequent owners have been the Ogles, Howards, and Greys. At Coldwell, which is now extinct, the monks of Newminster had possessions, and among others who had an interest in the same place may be named the families of Conyers and Heron.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Clifton is a hamlet in Northumberland, in England. The population is between 20 and 30. It is situated a short distance to the south of Morpeth, on the A1. It forms a trio with Hepscott and Glororum, a series of farms founded by the Brown brothers at the end of the 19th century. However, Clifton as a habitation stretches back earlier with a coaching inn dating from the 17th century.


Clifton is in the parliamentary constituency of Hexham.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 27/11/2019).
Visit the page: Clifton, Northumberland for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

Northumberland Stannington Civil Parish Stannington Parish, 1855 Stannington Parish, 1848
from Geograph (geograph)
Street scene at Clifton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
House on Great North Road, Clifton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Clifton level crossing

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
J.E. Metcalf - RFA - Clifton - Military Medal

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Stannington Parish, 1855
  Co-Curate Page
Stannington Parish, 1855
- Extract from: History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland...Whellan, William, & Co, 1855. STANNINGTON PARISH.   Stannington parish is divided into three divisions, called respectively Stannington North-East Quarter, Stannington North-West Quarter, …


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.