Saltwick, Northumberland


SALTWICK, a township, in the N. division of the parish of Stannington, union, and W. division, of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (S.S.W.) from Morpeth. This place formed a manor in the Merlay barony, and has been held by the families of Camhow, Greystock, Ogle, and Brown. It stands on the brow of a high green slope, and commands on every side but the north a very extensive prospect. The township comprises about 950 acres. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £116. 1. 8., and the vicarial for £3. 3. 6.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
from Geograph (geograph)
"The Cottage", Saltwick

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
House in Saltwick

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Road to Saltwick

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES