Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Kirkwhelpington Civil Parish > Kirkwhelpington, Parish, 1848

Kirkwhelpington, Parish, 1848


WHELPINGTON, KIRK (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Bellingham, N.E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland; containing, with the townships of Great Bavington, Capheaton, Catcherside, Coldwell, Crogdean, Fawns, Little and West Harle, and West Whelpington, 705 inhabitants, of whom 241 are in Kirk-Whelpington township, 21 miles (N.W.) from Newcastle. In the reign of King John, we find Richard de Umfraville making " his whole court at Whelpington" witness to a grant to the monks of Kelso; and the place for some time subsequently continued in this family, of whom Gilbert, in 1267, obtained from Henry III. liberty to hold a weekly market and annual fair here, which privileges, however, remained in force only for a very short period. The family of Whelpington also had possessions here, one of whom, Robert, was representative of Newcastle in parliament in 1412, 1422, and 1423, and mayor of that town in 1435 and 1438. The parish, exclusively of Capheaton, which is insulated, measures 5 miles from east to west, and 6 from north to south; it is a hilly district, for the most part composed of sheep and dairy farms, and on the west and north sides lies a broad belt of high and heathy moor. The soil is very various, in some places a rich black loam; limestone and sandstone are abundant, and the moors afford an almost inexhaustible supply of peat for fuel. The township consisted wholly of common until 1717, when the lands, comprising 1,900 acres, were inclosed: the village is on the north side of the river Wansbeck, which has its source in the parish, and is crossed here by a stone bridge built in 1819. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham, with a net income of £288; the glebe contains 210 acres. The church, which is ancient, with a low tower, has undergone many repairs, and constitutes the remains of a much larger edifice. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connexion with the Church of Scotland; and a national school is supported. A spring here, the water of which is impregnated with sulphur, has been found efficacious in chronic disorders. In various parts of the parish are traces of circular and rectilinear earthworks, probably thrown up in the border wars, for the protection of cattle from the moss-troopers. Whelpington Tower, now the vicarage-house, was anciently fortified.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Kirkwhelpington Civil Parish Great Bavington Little Harle Kirkwhelpington Crookdean West Whelpington Township, 1848 West Harle Great Bavington, 1848 Capheaton Catcherside Parishes and Townships - 1848 Coldwell, Kirkwhelpington
from https://openlibrary.org/boo...
A topographical dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, 7th Ed., 1848
- A topographical dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships, and the islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with historical and statistical ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Kirkwhelpington
  Co-Curate Page
Kirkwhelpington
- Overview About Kirkwhelpington Map Street View   Kirkwhelpington is a village and civil parish in the English county of Northumberland about 13 miles northeast of Hexham. It is on the ...
Great Bavington, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Great Bavington, 1848
- Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848. BAVINGTON, GREAT, a ...
Great Bavington
  Co-Curate Page
Great Bavington
- Overview Map Street View  
Catcherside
  Co-Curate Page
Catcherside
- Catcherside is a farming hamlet located north of Kirkwhelpington. Catcherside Cottage were originally a bastle house built in the 16th century. There was once a medieval village here. CATCHERSIDE, a ...
Crookdean
  Co-Curate Page
Crookdean
- CROOKDEAN, a township, in the parish of KirkWhelpington, union of Bellingham, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 22 miles (N.W. by N.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 9 ...
Capheaton
  Co-Curate Page
Capheaton
- Overview About Capheaton Map Street View CAPHEATON, a township, in the parish of KirkWhelpington, union of Castle ward, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 13 miles ...
Little Harle
  Co-Curate Page
Little Harle
- Overview About Lttle Harle Tower Map Street View Little Harle (or Littleharle) is an estate, located about 1 mile south-east of the village of Kirkwhelpington in Northumberland. Little Harle Tower is ...
West Harle
  Co-Curate Page
West Harle
- Overview Map West Harle is a farmstead in Northumberland, located about a mile and a half south of the village of Kirkwhelpington. West Harle Farmhouse was built in the 18th Century ...
West Whelpington Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
West Whelpington Township, 1848
- Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848. WHELPINGTON, WEST, a ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES