Embleton Parish, 1848
EMBLETON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Alnwick, S. division of Bambrough ward, N. division of Northumberland; comprising the townships of Broxfield, Brunton, Craster, Dunston, Embleton, Fallowdon, Newton-by-the-Sea, Rennington, Rock, and Stamford; and containing 2,030 inhabitants, of whom 525 are in the township of Embleton, 7¼ miles (N.E. by N.) from Alnwick. The township comprises about 2,000 acres, of which, with the exception of 600 acres of fine old grass-land, nearly the whole is arable, and in a high state of cultivation; the principal substrata are limestone and coal, both of which are found in great abundance, but the latter is of inferior quality. The village, which is about a mile to the west of the sea, is irregularly built at the base of a ridge of hills, and has a postoffice in connexion with that of Alnwick. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 3. 4.; net income, £815; patrons and impropriators, the Warden and Fellows of Merton College, Oxford. The church is ancient. The townships of Rennington and Rock have each a chapel. There is a place of worship for members of the Kirk of Scotland; and a school for not less than ten, and not more than fourteen, children, is endowed with £20 per annum.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.