Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Embleton Civil Parish

Embleton Civil Parish


Parish boundaries may have changed - for the latest map see the Parish Council or Northumberland County Council.

About the Parish

Embleton Civil Parish in Northumberland is located about 6 miles north-east of Alnwick and 6 miles south of Bambrugh. The parish is on the coast and includes a large part of Embleton Bay. It is bounded to the south by Embleton Burn.

Settlements: Embleton (village), Christon Bank
Population:

672  (2011 Census)

699  (2001 Census)

Area: 8.45 km2
Parish Council: Embleton Parish Council
Unitary Authority: Northumberland County Council

Historical

Ancient Township

(in modern CP area)

Embleton Township

Townships became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below).

Ancient Parish:

Embleton Parish  (Holy Trinity)

The ancient parish covered a much wider area than the modern civil parish, and included the townships of Broxfield, Brunton, Craster, Dunston, Embleton, Fallowdon, Newton-by-the-Sea, Rennington, Rock, and Stamford.

Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.

Ancient District:

Bambrugh (ward)

Poor Law Union:

Alnwick Poor Law Union, formed in 1836. 

Alnwick Union Workhouse was built in 1841 on Wagon Way Road, south-east of Alnwick, built to house 120 inmates. Prior to that there were smaller workhouses in Alnwick, Birling and Warkworth.

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls. 

The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as ‘Public Assistance Institutions’ until the National Assistance Act 1948.

District Council:

Alnwick Rural District, formed in 1894. The district was abolished in 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972.

Alnwick District from 1974 to 2009. Alnwick District covered the area of 4 former districts (Alnwick Urban District, Amble Urban District, Alnwick Rural District and Rothbury Rural District).

The district council was abolished when Northumberland became a unitary authority on the 1st of April 2009.

County / Unitary Authority

The ancient county of Northumberland was enlarged following the Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844; Bedlingtonshire, Norhamshire, Islandshire, the Farne Islands and Monks' House all became part of Northumberland. Up to then they had been enclaves of County Durham.

Northumberland County Council formed 1889.

Major boundary changes came into effect on the 1st April 1974. This followed the Local Government Act 1972, which formed the non-metropolitan county of Northumberland. This excluded the City of Newcastle upon Tyne and North Tyneside, which up to then had been part of Northumberland, but now became part of the newly formed Tyne & Wear.

Northumberland County Council became a unitary authority on the 1st of April 2009.

See also:  Historic Buildings and Monuments in Embleton Civil Parish. Note: listed buildings are generally the responsibility of the county council / unitary authority, rather than the parish council.

Civil Parishes in Northumberland Embleton Christon Bank Embleton Parish, 1848 Historic Buildings and Monuments in Embleton Civil Parish
from https://northumberlandparis...
Embleton Parish Council
- "The Embleton Parish includes Embleton, Christon Bank and Dunstan Steads within its Parish Boundaries. At the time of the 2011 census Embleton Parish had a population of 672 people living ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Embleton
  Co-Curate Page
Embleton
- Overview About Embleton Map Street View Embleton is a village in Northumberland, located about 6 miles north-east of Alnwick and just ¾ mile from the coast and Embleton and Newton ...
Christon Bank
  Co-Curate Page
Christon Bank
- Overview Map Street View Christon Bank is village near Embleton in Northumberland.
Embleton Parish, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Embleton Parish, 1848
- EMBLETON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Alnwick, S. division of Bambrough ward, N. division of Northumberland; comprising the townships of Broxfield, Brunton, Craster, Dunston, Embleton, Fallowdon, Newton-by-the-Sea, ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES