Rock, Northumberland, 1848
ROCK, a chapelry, in the parish of Embleton, union of Alnwick, S. division of Bambrough ward, N. division of Northumberland, 4¾ miles (N.N.E.) from Alnwick; containing 227 inhabitants. It comprises about 2,000 acres, of which the greater part is arable; the lands are interspersed with plantations, and the scenery embraces fine sea-views, and views of Bambrough Castle, Dunston, and Holy Island. Limestone and sandstone are obtained, and there is coal, but not at present wrought. Rock Hall, the seat of the Bosanquet family, owners of the soil, was repaired and enlarged some years since; the remaining portion of the old mansion, covered with ivy, has a venerable appearance. The great north road runs through the township. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Embleton; net income, £50. The chapel, dedicated to St. Philip and St. James, consists of a nave and chancel, with a Saxon doorway, and contains a handsome monument to Col. Salkeld, a former proprietor of the place; the edifice was repaired in 1805. Curious fossils have been dug up from the limestone-quarry.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.