Eglingham Parish, 1848


EGLINGHAM (St. Maurice), a parish, in the unions of Alnwick and Wooler, chiefly in the N. division of Coquetdale ward, but partly in the S. division of Bambrough ward, N. division of Northumberland; consisting of the townships of Bassington, Beanley, New and Old Bewick, Brandon, Branton, Crawley, Ditchburn, Eglingham, Harehope, Hedgeley, East and West Lilburn, Shipley, Titlington, and Wooperton; and containing 1832 inhabitants, of whom 304 are in the township of Eglingham, 7 miles (N.W.) from Alnwick. The parish comprises by measurement 21,241 acres; the surface is in some parts hilly, in others flat, and on the west of the river Breamish rises gradually to the range of the Cheviot hills. The Breamish has its source in those hills, and, with numerous other streamlets, intersects the parish, forming a rich vale of dry gravelly loam; in the centre of the parish the soil is clayey, and towards the south and east open moorland, affording pasture. There is a sheet of water of considerable depth, called Kimmer lough, which covers nearly ten acres of ground. Coal and limestone are abundant, and are wrought in the eastern portion of the parish; there are also quarries of good freestone. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the archdeaconry of Lindisfarne in 1842, and valued in the king's books at £23. 3. 1½.; impropriators, the Earl of Tankerville and others: the tithes have been commuted for £830, and the glebe comprises 133 acres. The church was destroyed by the Scots, in the rebellion against Charles I., but was rebuilt after the Restoration, and enlarged in 1836 by the erection of a transept; it is a neat edifice, and contains 600 sittings. There is a place of worship at Brandon for Presbyterians.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES