Hedgeley Township, 1848
HEDGELEY, a township, in the parish of Eglingham, union of Alnwick, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 3 miles (N.) from Whittingham; containing 72 inhabitants. On Hedgeley Moor a battle was fought in 1463, between the forces of Edward IV. and a party in the service of the deposed monarch Henry VI., in which Sir Ralph Percy was slain. In memory of Percy's bravery, a stone pillar was erected on the spot, a little to the north-east of the twenty-fourth milestone on the Morpeth and Wooler road; it is ornamented with crescents, and other armorial bearings of the Percy family. The township comprises about 645 acres in equal portions of arable and pasture, interspersed with 45 acres of wood; the surface is undulated, and the soil light, with a gravelly substratum. Hedgeley is intersected by the river Breamish, which here abounds in trout. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £53. 2. 8., and the vicarial for £37. 17. 10.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.