Harehope


Harehope is a hamlet in Northumberland located about 7 miles north-west of Alnwick, and just under a mile north-west of the village of Eglingham. Today the settlement includes Harehope Farm and a few associated cottages, together with the nearby Harehope Hall. In medieval times there was a village located here and a leper colony was documented here in the 13th century.[1,2] The remains of a millstone quary can also be seen at Harehope.

HAREUP, or Harehope, a township, in the parish of Eglingham, union of Alnwick, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 10¼ miles (N.W.) from Alnwick; containing 49 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Eglingham to Chillingham, about a mile north-west of the former place. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £32. 6. 4., and the vicarial for £23. 18. Here are very extensive earthworks and fortifications, probably British.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

from Geograph (geograph)
Harehope Farm Cottages

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Harehope Farm

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Road from Harehope Farm

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Disused quarry

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Crane Burn near Harehope Farm

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Harehope Farm Cotrtage's Outbuildings

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Harehope leper hospital
- "Burton Lazars is the site of a medieval leper hospital. It was founded before 1230 and dissolved before 1350, possibly coinciding with the onset of the Black Death in 1348 ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Harehope medieval village
- "Records of a medieval settlement at Harehope date back to at least the 12th century. Later that century a leper hospital was established here. It is not known when the ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Harehope Hill millstone quarry
- "This is the site of a former quarry that was worked to extract millstones. Traces of partially formed millstones can still be seen and measure about 1.2m across...."

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://ora.ox.ac.uk/object...
HAREHOPE HOSPITAL AND THE ARRIVAL OF THE ORDER OF ST LAZARUS IN ENGLAND
- Paper by David X. Carpenter, Oxford University, December 2016. "The Knights of St Lazarus of Jerusalem, though less well known than the Knights Templar and the Knights Hospitaller, developed a ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES