Branton, Northumberland


BRANTON, a township, in the parish of Eglingham, union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 9¼ miles (S.S.E.) from Wooler; containing 119 inhabitants. Some antiquaries have supposed that this is the Roman station Bremenium. The township comprises 1,143 acres, whereof two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture, including 16 acres of plantation. There is a fine freestone quarry, out of which Lilburne tower was built. The village is situated on the south side of the Breamish, and at a short distance west of the road from Morpeth to Wooler. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £60. 10. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

from Flickr (flickr)
This morning's weather warning was slightly exaggerated, but truly beautiful.

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Cottages at Branton

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from http://www.branton.northumb...
Branton Community First School
- and Breamish Valley Nursery

Added by
Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Cottages at Branton

Pinned by Pat Thomson
River Breamish
  Co-Curate Page
River Breamish

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES