Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
BASSINGTON, a township, in the parish of Eglingham, union of Alnwick, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 3½ miles (N.W. by W.) from Alnwick; containing 11 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the north side of the Aln, near its junction with the Eglingham burn, derives its name from bassin, an old word signifying rushy, and ton, a place of abode; and the surrounding fields, notwithstanding the progress of cultivation, still very much abound with the common rush. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £16.