Historical Account of Beanley Township, 1848
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
BEANLEY, a township, in the parish of Eglingham, union of Alnwick, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 9½ miles (W.N.W.) from Alnwick; containing 176 inhabitants. This was formerly the head of a barony, the lord of which had the power of inflicting capital punishment; Gallow-Law, on the north side of the Breamish, being the place of execution. It comprises about 2000 acres, of which 1000 are pasture and moorland, and 1000 arable; the soil, generally, is a light gravel, the surface mountainous, and the views very extensive. On an elevated spot called Beanley Plantation are vestiges of an encampment, having a double fosse and rampart; the road which led to it is plainly discernible. Another encampment existed on Beanley Moor. Percy's Cross, erected in memory of Sir Ralph Percy, an officer attached to the Lancasterian party, who fell in battle against the Yorkists, in 1464, stands on Hedgeley Moor, a short distance from Gallow-Law. The impropriate tithes produce £125.18., and the vicarial £55.18.