Wooperton Township, 1848
WOOPERTON, a township, in the parish of Eglingham, union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 6¼ miles (S.E. by S.) from Wooler; containing 77 inhabitants. It is situated a little west of the road between Wooler and Morpeth, and is a small village for labourers. Some years since, the old thatched cottages were replaced by neater buildings, covered with blue slate. The township comprises about 925 acres, of which 50 are pasture, 20 woodland, and the remainder arable, mostly turnip soil, the whole the property of W. Burdon, Esq., of Hartford. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £109. 11., and the vicarial for £57. 9.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.