Church of St. James, Benwell


St James’ Church in Benwell first opened as a Chapel of Ease in 1833. The church was extended in 1864 by addition of chancel and south aisle, designed by John Dobson. The church, located by the junction of Atkinson Road and  Benwell Lane, is a Grade 2 Listed building.

from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
064152:St. James Church Atkinson Road/Benwell Lane Benwell Maybury Malcolm 1997

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
024929:St. James Church, Benwell Lane/Atkinson Road, Benwell, c.1900

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
025813:Lady Chapel St. James Church Atkinson Road/Benwell Lane Benwell Unknown 1930

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
051273:Boys Club St. James Church Benwell Unknown late 1920s

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. James Church, Benwell Lane / Atkinson Road, Benwell, NE4

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Benwell Parish Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
St James' Church, Benwell, Newcastle

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
St James' Church, Benwell, Newcastle

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from https://stjameschurchnewcas...
History of St James’ Church
- "St James’ Church opened for worship in 1833 as a Chapel of Ease in the parish of St John in Newcastle. Chapels of Ease were Anglican chapels built for the ...

Added by
Pat Thomson
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST JAMES - Benwell - List Entry
- "Chapel of ease 1832; parish church 1843. By John Dobson; 1864 nave and aisle added, 1879-80 organ chamber and vestry. 1895 additions of spire, choir vestry, porch by Hicks and ...

Added by
Pat Thomson
  Co-Curate Page
St James’ Graveyard, Benwell
- Overview Map The graveyard at St James’ Church in Benwell was consecrated in 1832. The graveyard was extended in 1858 because of the large number of burials, many from the ...
from TWAM (youtube)
West End Stories: St James’ Heritage & Environment Group

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
  Co-Curate Page
Edward VII Drinking Fountain, Benwell
- A drinking fountain built in 1902 which is integrated in the boundary wall and railings to St. James Church, Atkinson Road. The structure is Grade 2 Listed. The fountain has ...
  Co-Curate Page
St James' Heritage and Environment Group
- St James’ Heritage and Environment Group is an independent voluntary organisation in Benwell, Newcastle. It was set up in 2010 to support the restoration and improvement of St James’ Church ...
from Youtube (youtube)
Alang the Road

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
EBE04848

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
EBE04835

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
EBE04857

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
EBE04858

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
EBE04866

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
EBE07694

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
EBE12812

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
EBE14370

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES