History of St James’ Church

  • Description

    "St James’ Church opened for worship in 1833 as a Chapel of Ease in the parish of St John in Newcastle. Chapels of Ease were Anglican chapels built for the convenience of remote parishioners. St John’s Church was in the city centre, some three miles from the western reaches of the parish. At that time, Benwell not was not part of Newcastle. It was not until 1904 that it was absorbed into the city. Back in 1833 it was a largely rural area of farms and big mansions and private estates..."
  • Owner

    St. James’ Heritage and Environment Group
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://stjameschurchnewcastle.wordpress.com/history-of-st-james-church/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 2 years, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 223 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES