Tweedmouth


Tweedmouth is part of the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed, located on the south bank of the River Tweed, near the mouth of the river. Tweedmouth has historically always been part of England, unlike the walled town of Berwick, which was occupied by the Scottish in some parts of the Middle Ages. The building of fortifications to defend Tweedmouth against the Scots were begun in 1203 by Philip of Poitiers (Bishop of Durham) and continued by King John of England. However, the part-built defences were attacked twice by the Scots and eventually the castle was destroyed. In more peaceful times the St Bartholomew and St Boisil's Church was built in 1783 on the site of a much earlier church. The Newcastle and Berwick Railway built Tweedmouth Station in 1847, on the line to Newcastle and also later the terminus for the Tweedmouth to Kelso branch line. In 1876, Tweed Dock was opened and it remains an important port today.   Could you help contribute to the Tweedmouth Timeline?

Tweedmouth is part of the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed in Northumberland, England. It is located on the south bank of the River Tweed and is connected to Berwick town centre, on the north bank, by two road bridges and a railway bridge. Tweedmouth has historically always been part of England, in contrast to the walled town of Berwick which came under Scottish control for several periods in the Middle Ages. The local nickname for people from Tweedmouth is "Twempies".

Governance

Tweedmouth is part of Berwick-upon-Tweed Town Council, which also includes neighbouring Spittal. It is in the parliamentary constituency of Berwick-upon-Tweed. The unitary authority for the area is Northumberland County Council. It was historically part of the parish of Islandshire, which was an exclave of County Durham, before becoming a hundred of Northumberland in 1844.

Attractions

In an annual ceremony dating back to 1292, Tweedmouth schools elect a Salmon Queen to mark the start of Salmon Week, a traditional celebration which dates to medieval times. The event is a reminder that Tweedmouth has a long history as a centre for salmon fishing on the river. There is a procession from Berwick town hall across the Old Bridge to Tweedmouth where the incoming Salmon Queen is crowned.

The parish church of St Bartholomew dates to the late 18th century. It stands on the site of an earlier church built in 1145, which was in turn on the site of an earlier 7th century church. The church's weather-vane is in the form of a salmon.

The most obvious historic landmark is the 15-arched Old Bridge, built of local sandstone in 1610. The bridge was built by order of James VI and I, and formed part of the Great North Road between London and Edinburgh. The Old Bridge still carries traffic across the River Tweed. The Royal Tweed Bridge and Royal Border Railway Bridge also span the river at Tweedmouth, the latter being opened by Queen Victoria in 1850.

The Tweed Dock

The Tweed Dock officially opened in October 1876, replacing the older port on the north bank of the river which had become inadequate. Following improvement works in 1993 vessels with a maximum beam of 16 metres are now able to enter the dock. Due to its geographical location the port primarily handles cargoes linked to the agricultural industry, with fertilisers, malting barley, feed barley and oilseed rape the principal commodities.

Sport and Recreation

Berwick Rangers football club plays at Shielfield Park in Tweedmouth. The stadium also hosts motorcycle speedway, in the form of Berwick Bandits. The neighbouring ground of Old Shielfield Park is home to Tweedmouth Rangers F.C., who play in the East of Scotland Football League. The Swan Leisure Centre is a multi-purpose leisure facility with a swimming pool, gym, sports hall and all-weather outdoor pitch.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 24/05/2017).
Visit the page: Tweedmouth for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Youtube (youtube)
Tweedmouth Station Remembered

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Old Property (Main Street Tweedmouth) on the Lowry Trail in Berwick upon Tweed

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Memorial, Berwick-upon-Tweed

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Rob Roy public house Tweedmouth

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Brewery Lane, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Mill Strand, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Former grain mill, Dock Road

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Tweed Dock

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Swans in the dock at Berwick on Tweed

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Berwick upon Tweed harbour

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
The Angel Inn

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Tweedside Lodge

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
The Harrow, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Ship leaving harbour at Tweed Dock

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
The Lowry Trail

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
The Queens Head

Pinned by Peter Smith
from http://www.gatehouse-gazett...
TWEEDMOUTH CASTLE
- "....Approximate site of castle started in 1203 by Philip of Poitiers, Bishop of Durham and continued by King John. Twice attacked during it's building by the Scots and razed ...

Added by
Pat Thomson
from Flickr (flickr)
Tweedmouth West End

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Little Pink House, Kiln Hill

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Royal Border Bridge, Berwick-upon-Tweed

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
West End

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Derelict buildings off Main Street, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Tweedmouth and the River Tweed

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Berwick Bridge and War Memorial, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Houses, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Watchtower Gallery, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Thatch, West End, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Post box, Main Street, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Pedestrian underpass under the railway, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Railway viaduct from Tweedmouth park

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Junction of Main Street and Prince Edward Road

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Main street, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Looking into Tweedmouth from the Royal Tweed Bridge

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Tweedmouth signal box

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Footpath steps in Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Yardheads, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
House on the corner of Main Street and Union Brae, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Businesses on Northumberland Road

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Former Borough Water Works building in Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Promenade Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Main Street, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES