Topics > Northumberland > Berwick upon Tweed > Tweedmouth > Former Mount Road School

Former Mount Road School

The former Tweedmouth National Schools on Mount Road was built in 1868, replacing an earlier school on the site.[1] The original school was established by Rev. John Leach, perpetual curate of Tweedmouth. Collections by public subscriptions for this school in Tweedmouth and another at Ancroft began in 1826. The school here opened in c.1830. By 1846, the school was attended by 84 boys and 50 girls, though only having one schoolroom at that time, later having two. There was a hand water pump in the school yard. By the 1860s the building was in a poor condition and funds were raised to rebuild it in 1868, including a grant from the National Society for Promoting Religious Education. The present building, incorporating separate boys and girls schools, opened on the 11th January 1869.[2] The former school building is now converted for residential use.

Tweedmouth 1868 National Schools
from Geograph (geograph)
Former Mount Road School, Tweedmouth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Inscription, former Tweedmouth National School

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
The development of education in Berwick upon Tweed to 1902
- Cowe, Janet Denise (1969) The development of education in Berwick upon Tweed to 1902, Durham theses, Durham University. Available at Durham E-Theses Online: ABSTRACT "From the small schools of …

Added by
Simon Cotterill


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.