TWEEDMOUTH CASTLE

  • Description

    "....Approximate site of castle started in 1203 by Philip of Poitiers, Bishop of Durham and continued by King John. Twice attacked during it's building by the Scots and razed to the ground. In 1209 King William of Scotland and King John of England met and signed a peace treaty in which William paid £4000 for the demolition of the works and John agreed 'to desist for ever from attempting to erect any fortress at Tweedmouth' but in 1215....."
  • Owner

    Gatehouse Gazetter
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/English%20sites/2418.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 6 months, 3 weeks ago
    Viewed: 115 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES