Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Acomb Civil Parish > St John Lee Parish, 1848

St John Lee Parish, 1848


LEE, ST. JOHN, a parish, in the union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 1½ mile (N.N.E.) from Hexham; containing 1,947 inhabitants. This is an extensive parish, consisting of the townships of West Acomb, Anick, Anick Grange, Bingfield, Cocklaw, Fallowfield, Hallington, Portgate, Sandhoe, and Wall, and comprising by computation 15,000 acres. The soil is in general good, and the surface varied and picturesque; it is rich in mines of coal and lead, and well watered by the Tyne and the northern branch of that river. The parish contains several villages and hamlets, but no village of its own name. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £280; patron, T. W. Beaumont, Esq.: the impropriation belongs to the Misses Smith and the family of Errington. The church, dedicated to St. John of Beverley, and situated on a fine eminence on the northern side of the Tyne, was noted for an annual procession made to it by the monks of Hexham; the east end was rebuilt in 1819, and the west end, with the spire, in 1842. There are chapels of ease at Bingfield and Wall.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Acomb Civil Parish Anick Township, 1848 Bingfield West Acomb Township, 1848 Cocklaw Fallowfield Anick Grange Township, 1848 Hallington Northumberland Parishes and Townships - 1848 Sandhoe Township, 1848 Wall (Northumberland), 1848
Bingfield
  Co-Curate Page
Bingfield
- BINGFIELD, a chapelry, in the parish of St. John Lee, union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 6½ miles (N.N E.) from Hexham; containing 111 inhabitants. ...
Sandhoe Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Sandhoe Township, 1848
- Today Sandhoe is a civil parish. Historically, it was a township within the Parish of St John Lee. SANDHOE, a township, in the parish of St. John Lee, union of ...
Wall (Northumberland), 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Wall (Northumberland), 1848
- WALL, a chapelry, in the parish of St. John Lee, union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 3¾ miles (N. by W.) from Hexham; containing 437 ...
Anick Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Anick Township, 1848
- ANICK, a township, in the parish of St. John Lee, union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 1¾ mile (N.E. by E.) from Hexham; containing 146 ...
Fallowfield
  Co-Curate Page
Fallowfield
- FALLOWFIELD, a township, in the parish of St. John Lee, union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 3¼ miles (N.) from Hexham; containing 74 inhabitants. This ...
Cocklaw
  Co-Curate Page
Cocklaw
- Overview Map Street View Cocklaw is a hamlet in Northumberland and is notable for Cocklaw Tower. Historically, Cocklaw was a township in the Parish of St John Lee; today Cocklaw forms ...
Anick Grange Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Anick Grange Township, 1848
- ANICK-GRANGE, a township, in the parish of St. John Lee, union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, l½ mile (E.N.E.) from Hexham; containing 40 inhabitants. It ...
West Acomb Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
West Acomb Township, 1848
- ACOMB, WEST, a township, in the parish of St. John Lee, union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 1¾ mile (N.) from Hexham; containing 571 inhabitants. ...
Hallington
  Co-Curate Page
Hallington
- Overview Map Street View HALLINGTON, a township, in the parish of St. John Lee, union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 11 miles (N.N.E.) from Hexham; ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES