West Acomb Township, 1848
ACOMB, WEST, a township, in the parish of St. John Lee, union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 1¾ mile (N.) from Hexham; containing 571 inhabitants. This place, anciently Hameshaly, belonged to the prior of Hexham, and is supposed to have been the favourite retreat of St. John of Beverley: on the dissolution of the priory it came to the crown; in 1724 it was the property of the Coatsworth family, and subsequently of the Jurins and Hunters. The township is bounded on the south by the river Tyne: coal is obtained within its limits; and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway passes through it. The great tithes have been commuted for £65.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.