Wall (Northumberland), 1848
WALL, a chapelry, in the parish of St. John Lee, union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 3¾ miles (N. by W.) from Hexham; containing 437 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Beaumont family: the tithes have been commuted for £274. The chapel, dedicated to St. Oswald, was erected by the monks of Hexham, upon the spot where King Oswald, who was afterwards canonized, raised the standard of the Cross, and defeated the Britons under Cadwalla. A silver coin of the saint was found when the chapel underwent repair, and a mutilated Roman altar lies in the cemetery; adjoining is a field, where human skulls and fragments of military weapons have been often turned up by the plough.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.