Kirknewton Parish, 1848
NEWTON, KIRK (St. Gregory), a parish, in the union of Glendale, W. division of Glendale ward, N. division of the county of Northumberland, 5¼ miles (W. by N.) from Wooler; containing 1,726 inhabitants, of whom 83 are in the township of Kirk-Newton. The parish consists of the townships of Akeld, Couldsmouth with Thompson's-Walls, Coupland, Crookhouse, Greys-Forest, Heath-Pool, Howtell, Kilham, Kirk-Newton, Lanton, Milfield, West Newton, Paston, Selby's-Forest, and Yeavering. In Kirk-Newton township are 2,218 acres of land; the surface is mountainous, and mostly in sheep-walks: there are quarries of whinstone. The rivers Beaumont and Colledge join here, and become the Glen, running down the valley eastward. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £8. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Miss Davidson; net income, £491; impropriators, Mr. James and others. The vicarial tithes of the township of Kirk-Newton have been commuted for £25, and there are eleven acres of glebe. The church, a neat structure with a campanile tower, was repewed in 1810.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.