Akeld Township, 1848
AKELD, a township, in the parish of Kirk-Newton, union of Glendale, W. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 3 miles (N.W. by W.) from Wooler; containing 182 inhabitants. It comprises 2,362 acres, of which 1,300 are arable, 100 plantation, and the remainder pasture. The surface is mountainous in the southern portion, but level on the north-east; the soil is various, and the scenery pleasing: whinstone is obtained in abundance. The village is situated near the river Glen, which runs through the township; and on the road from Wooler to Kirk-Newton. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £56, and the impropriate for £1. 13. Vestiges of a burial-place are discernible, but there are no traces of any place of worship. On a hill, which ranges three miles in length, is a Roman camp, two inner walls of which are very perfect: a Roman brass bowl was found at Milfield Place, in the township, in 1842.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.