Cowshill, County Durham
Cowshill is a village in Upper Weardale in County Durham, situated by Killhope Burn and within the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Cowshill is located on the A689 road between Cornriggs and Wearhead; the hamlets of Copthill and Low Allers are close by. The Church of St Thomas (1912) is located in Cowshill, and is the parish church for Heatherycleugh parish. What are today the Cowshill Hotel and Bridge End Cottage are notable for once being a 17th century Bastle, and are a Grade II listed building. Burtree Ford was once considered a separate village, now considered as part of Cowshill, but its name is still apparent in Burtree Farm, and Burtreeford Bridge, over Killhope Burn, and the former Burtreeford Mill. The Cowshill War Memorial commemorates the 7 men from the area lost in the First World War and 3 who died in WW2. The population of Cowshill was recorded as 156 in the 2001 census.