Copthill is a hamlet immediately north of Cowshill in Upper Weardale in County Durham. In 1825 a chapel of ease to Stanhope was built at Copthill; this became a parish church when the parish of Heatherycleugh was formed in 1866. However, the church had to be abandoned as it was encroached by Copthill Quarry; the gravestones from this church can still be seen at Copthill. A replacement church was built in Cowshill in 1912. Copthil Quarry is now disused and flooded. It was opened up in 1895 to mine whinstone and employed about 50 men; the quarry closed in 1943.