Topics > Northumberland > Woodhorn (village) > Woodhorn Parish, 1848

Woodhorn Parish, 1848


WOODHORN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union, and E. division of the ward, of Morpeth, N. division of Northumberland, 8 miles (E.N.E.) from Morpeth; containing, with the chapelry of Newbiggin, and the townships of Cresswell, Ellington, Hirst, Linemouth, North Seaton, and Woodhorn-Demesne, 1,618 inhabitants, of whom 168 are in the township of Woodhorn. This place formed part of the barony of Hugh de Balliol, and subsequently belonged to the families of Valence, Denton, Widdrington, and others. The parish is nearly five miles in length from north to south, and about two miles and a half in breadth, and is bounded on the east partly by the sea; the soil is generally fertile, and the grounds about Woodhorn and Woodhorn-Demesne are esteemed the finest grazing land in the county. In the township are 1294 acres. The village, situated on a fertile plain within a mile of the sea, consists of some well-built houses and numerous cottages; the road to Morpeth branches off from it in one direction by Bothal and Pegsworth, and in another by Longhirst, forming two lines of streets, of which the latter is much the longer. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £21. 15. 7½.; net income, £650; patron, the Bishop of Durham. The rectory was granted to the priory of Tynemouth, and is now the property of the Mercers' Company, London, and the incumbent of Hampstead. The church is a very ancient structure in the Norman style, consisting of a nave, aisles, and chancel, and a tower, on the outside wall of which are the armorial-bearings of the Widdringtons and Ogles, with a male figure in the attitude of prayer. There is a chapel of ease at Newbiggin, and at Cresswell is a separate incumbency. Viscountess Bulkeley in 1826 bequeathed £500, afterwards invested in the purchase of £642 three per cent, consols., of which the dividends are distributed among the poor at Christmas.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Woodhorn (village) Cresswell Township, 1848 North Seaton Ellington Township, 1848 Woodhorn Demesne, Historical Account, 1848 Hirst, Ashington Lynemouth Parishes and Townships - 1848 Widdrington, 1848
from https://openlibrary.org/boo...
A topographical dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, 7th Ed., 1848
- A topographical dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships, and the islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with historical and statistical ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Lynemouth
  Co-Curate Page
Lynemouth
- Overview About Lynemouth Map Street View LINMOUTH, a township, in the parish of Woodhorn, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 7¼ miles (E.N.E.) from ...
Woodhorn Demesne, Historical Account, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Woodhorn Demesne, Historical Account, 1848
- 'Demesne' is an old term which signified land, sometimes with estate buildings attached to a manor and retained by the owner ('Royal Demeses' signifies land owned by the crown). Extract ...
Ellington Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Ellington Township, 1848
- ELLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Woodhorn, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of the county of Northumberland, 7 miles (N.E. by E.) from Morpeth; ...
Cresswell Township, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Cresswell Township, 1848
- CRESSWELL, a township and ecclesiastical district in the union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland; the township containing 253 inabitants. This place has its name ...
North Seaton
  Co-Curate Page
North Seaton
- Overview Map Street View North Seaton is a village immediately west of Ashington in Northumberland. SEATON, NORTH, a township, in the parish of Woodhorn, union of Morpeth, E. division of ...
Widdrington, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Widdrington, 1848
- WIDDRINGTON, a parochial chapelry, in the union, and E. division of the ward, of Morpeth, N. division of Northumberland, 8 miles (N.E. by N.) from Morpeth; containing 447 inhabitants. This ...
Hirst, Ashington
  Co-Curate Page
Hirst, Ashington
- Hirst is an area in the town of Ashington in Northumberland. It grew rapidly in association with coal mining, with 5 collieries developed in the Ashington area by the late ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES