Ellington Township, 1848
ELLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Woodhorn, union of Morpeth, E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of the county of Northumberland, 7 miles (N.E. by E.) from Morpeth; containing 286 inhabitants. The township comprises 2,060 acres, and is situated on the north side of the river Line, over which is a stone bridge: the village is neat and well built, seated on a rock on the brow of a hill, fronting the west, and having land of a good quality about it. The tithes have been commuted for £243 payable to the impropriators, and £46 to the vicar.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.